This coming June 15-16, Mesa Rim Mission Valley will host the 2019 USAC Youth Sport & Speed Divisional, which will feature athletes from all over California and Nevada.
“We are incredibly excited to have been selected to host the 2019 USAC Youth Sport & Speed Divisional Championships,” says Mesa Rim president and co-founder, Ian McIntosh. “This competition is the largest youth climbing competition in the state with over 200 of the strongest climbers in California/Nevada competing for a chance to qualify for Nationals! Mesa Rim has several athletes competing in Divisionals this year and we wish them all the best of luck!”
Youth Sport & Speed Divisionals is a USA Climbing championship competition for athletes from across California and Nevada. The competitors at Divisionals placed top 10 in their category at Regionals in May and many hope to place top 6 at Mission Valley in June to secure a spot at Nationals. Qualifiers will take place on Saturday and 10 finalists in each category will compete in the final round on Sunday.
To make room for the competition and the athletes, some areas of the gym will be affected. Here’s a rundown of what you can expect in the days leading up to the event and throughout the weekend competition:
- Setting will take place 6/11-6/16 from the setter’s room to the short wall.
- The bouldering and fitness areas will be closed on 6/15 until 5pm and 6/16 until 12pm.
- Belay lessons, Rock Monsters, Mini Monsters, and Climbing with Kin are cancelled on 6/15 and 6/16. There is no change to the yoga schedule.
- El Hueco food truck will be at Mission Valley starting at 6:30pm on 6/11. The first 50 meals are on us!
- Free Road Trip coffee and Golden Donuts will be available (while supplies last) at Mission Valley on 6/13 at 7am.
- All members receive an extra guest pass in June.
- All classes, programs, and walls will be open at Mira Mesa during the competition, so please visit us there!
- Mira Mesa will host a member appreciation BBQ (while supplies last) on 6/15 starting at 12pm.
“It is a great honor to be chosen to host this important competition,” McIntosh concludes. “It will be the final event of the year for us and we want you to know how much we appreciate your support in the growth of climbing as a competitive sport and a lifelong pastime for all.”
Interested in participating? We encourage spectators and are gladly accepting volunteers.
Spectating is free and we encourage all members of our local community to come watch our Divisional athletes crush. This is your chance to see youth onsight climbing routes at grades far beyond their years.
Mesa Rim is currently looking for top rope belayers for Saturday and Sunday. Anyone who is interested in volunteering, please CLICK HERE. Please read through all requirements before signing up to volunteer.
USA Climbing is currently looking for the following volunteers: iso monitors, judges, assistant judges, general help, scorecard runners, speed volunteers (non-belaying).
Learn more about the event here.